How to Select a Recruitment Firm
Selecting just the right recruitment firm can mean the difference between time spent with qualified candidates or time wasted with unqualified ones. And it will be the reason you find just the right person for the job!
Here are some suggestions:
- First and foremost, select a recruitment firm that specializes either in your industry or discipline. The ‘one stop shop’ approach does not work! Would you want a temp agency finding your next sales rep?
- Ask recruitment firms you interview what methodology they use in finding their candidates.
- Do they post advertisements?
- Do they network to organically search and reach out to the most ideal candidates?
- Do they ‘get’ your industry and needs?
- What is their recruitment process?
- How quickly can they find your ideal job candidates?
- Review company websites. Ask firms about their company history and to provide testimonials substantiating their successes. Ask them what sets them apart from their competitors. Check them out via Google searches, LinkedIn, etc. Do your due diligence! Remember, these are things that you would be doing when hiring your next sales representative.
- It is crucial that the search firm interviews you as much as you interview them. After all, the more they learn about you, the better they are able to identify your ideal candidate.
- Don’t be penny wise and pound foolish! Selecting the wrong recruitment firm can cost you far more in lost revenue, salary, training/ramp up, and benefits if you end up with a bad hire.
- Make sure both you and the recruitment search firm are on same page with a clear understanding of the position, your company culture and your expectations. It is vital that communication be a two way street!